If you are looking to grow your business and connect with the locals, the Yelp platform could be a wise way to start. Most companies get clients through positive yelp reviews – so these reviews are important. In fact small businesses often live or die by ratings. In fact, 86% of U.S. consumers consult online reviews before selecting a local business – according to a BrightLocal survey.
Unfortunately, a negative yelp review can be harmful to your business. Even having lower ratings is problematic. In fact only 53% of people would consider a business with less than four stars – ouch!
Great Yelp Reviews Disappear
Perhaps even worse, is that you can have your positive yelp review deleted. The review could have been active in winning more clients for you, but then it disappears mysteriously.
So why do yelp reviews disappear?
Reasons Why Your Yelp Review Could Go Missing
Why yelp reviews disappear is often because of one of three main reasons.
- The author that wrote the review could delete it due to their own reasons.
- If the review goes against the Yelp’s set guidelines, it is a breach of the platform’s Terms of Service. It acts as a concrete reason to have your yelp review removed by the Yelp’s User Operations staff. Having your Yelp review removed due to the violation of terms does not happen regularly. The review gets removed permanently only when the community flags it. Unfortunately, those in the community may include your competitors who can do anything to bring you down.
- Sometimes Yelp can just filter your review as “Not Recommended.” In such a situation, you can still find your Yelp review, but it won’t show up in your business reviews section. To determine whether to filter your review, Yelp usually runs algorithms to analyze the review, the author’s profile, the date written, the author’s history, and the review’s content. The results determine whether to display your review or not.
After Yelp filters your review not to display, you may wonder where it goes. Yelp usually hides any review it suspects to be fraudulent or goes against its community’s opinion behind a link located at the page’s bottom. When you click on that link, you will find numerous reviews. You can view them on the provided path that connects to the business partially.
With Your Yelp Review Removed, Can You Retrieve It?
Unfortunately, the answer is no. There is not much you can do with your Yelp review deleted. According to Yelp, it filters most positive reviews because;
- Yelp does not know about most people who write such reviews, making them unpopular with the platform’s automated software. Yelp terms the process as a standard for all review types, whether negative or positive.
- Some of the reviews usually fit in a different pattern recognized by Yelp. The software used by Yelp detects such anomalies but can sometimes make a mistake.
- Most Yelp users write many positive reviews, which may not seem genuine.
Bad Yelp Reviews May Not Disappear
Business competition is tight, and a competitor may want to tarnish your business’s reputation. It is heartbreaking, frustrating, and irritating to come across a negative Yelp review. The only thing you would wish is to have that Yelp review deleted.
How to Have Your Negative Yelp Review Deleted
First, try to reach out to the person who left the negative review and request they remove it. If there was a misunderstanding, try to make the author understand. If real mistakes did happen, apologize, and ask for the removal of the review. If the author realizes their mistake, request they leave a positive review to replace the negative one.
It can be a hard nut to crack if the author refuses to remove the negative review despite all your efforts. The situation gets neutralized when you try to resolve the issue before your customers, but the author remains adamant. At least your customers get to know the truth of the matter, and that you tried to address the issue. At times the author refuses to delete the review even though it’s incorrect. In such a case, what do you do?
What To Do When the Author Refuses to Have the Yelp Review Removed Even When It’s Incorrect
At this juncture, your business’s reputation is at stake, and you cannot allow an incorrect review to destroy your efforts. Go ahead and contact Yelp. You can do so on the Yelp business page. Highlight the review you want to remove by flagging it using the ‘flag icon.’ You will get presented with options to select as to why you want the review removed. Select the reason that suits your case most, and offer supporting info when asked to. Though it’s not a guarantee that the review will get removed, you may get lucky.
But to avoid the hustle of removing a negative yelp review, you should sort out the issue when you spot the sign of someone about to give a bad review. It is easy; just go through your reviewers’ opinions and identify those with low opinions or have given low ratings. Reach out to them directly, maybe on their mobile phones, and sort out the issue. Remember, a happy client is equivalent to a positive Yelp review with high ranking.
According to UC Berkeley economics, if your rating on Yelp increases by half-star, the likelihood of your restaurant’s seat filling increases by 19%. It is an indication that even the slightest positive rating has a significant positive impact on your reputation. It is, therefore, worth preventing great reviews from disappearing AND deleting those reviews that are negative.
Follow our guidelines and you may be able to achieve either.
Conclusion – Part Two A Better Way
There is a more effective solution – that would help prevent negative feedback on Yelp. Don’t let it happen at all!
- Enable on location, real-time feedback at your location
- Allow negative feedback to trigger instant alerts to your staff
- They can then fix the issue and connect with the customer – before they leave
This strategy pre-empts negative feedback ever showing up online and it’s easy to start.
Check out the video, and say goodbye to negative reviews